Thursday, October 27, 2011

Sushi: The Making Off

Deepavali was a good day. A long day. It was filled with food. A lot of it...yummy Indian food. For dinner however, sushi rolls were on the menu. Homemade. This was my first attempt and boy was I glad that Ann was around. Cooking genius that woman is. Me on the other hand, I found out that my common sense (the leeeetle that I have) ventures not into the kitchen. The things I do, which makes so much sense to me, often defy the exact science of cooking. So unlike other cooking blogs, I will blog about what NOT to do (often from a wealth of mistakes experienced) rather than what to do...which one can very easily google about.


Munkee see, munkee do. Though extensive YouTube research (watched two videos), I found out that sushi rice is not really sushi rice until some rice vinegar is added and combed into the rice evenly. Just enough to give it a slightly sourish tinge. Good to have measuring cups in the house. Mentally adding into my shopping list the ones found in IKEA...cause they match my kitchen's colour theme. For real. Anything can basically be chucked (neatly arranged in other words) into the roll. That yellow stuff is some kind of pickled vegetable. My next sushi making session will involve salmon sashimi and the slightest trickle of roasted sesame seed dressing. A good tip for blubbering idiots in the kitchen, rice is sticky. But rice on wet hands is not sticky.
We also had grilled shishamo...except that it was over cooked and the eggs exploded as a result. Note to self, sprinkle more salt and some oil to speed up the browning process. Went in blind on this dish.
And lastly, this has nothing to do with sushi. Just felt like throwing in a picture of my 'guilty shelf'. It has been empty for so long till three days ago when I threw caution into the wind and procured Mr Lay and Mr Ruffles. Let's see how long they survive in the Oinkery.

1 comment:

buy toba dm eye drop online said...

I am so very grateful for your time. Thank you for being such an inspiration to me and others around you.